Thursday, November 19, 2009

Me, Myself and Aye Aye Aye

I have to say, I've just been convicted. Not in a fire and brimstone kind of way, or even with anything particularly strong. Just a gentle "You're wrong" from God.

All day I've been a little irritated at people in general. Nothing huge; just a few specific things that people have done made me way too angry. I was aware of it, and not letting it affect me. No worries.

But I was still judging in my head. "That was so rude of them." "Did they just do that?" "Really? Really?" Even the wordless, welling annoyance in my chest had a hint of judgment around the edges.

I just realized that all of the actions that have bothered me today were essentially selfish decisions people have made. What's the deeper meaning here? I don't know. But I was all prepared to blog (or rant to somebody) about how selfish we, as humans, can be (complete with examples from my day, heavy on the "can you believe that?").

Then I got to thinking: how selfish is it that I'm judging other people's actions?

Yeah, it might have been selfish of them not to think of others in that instance. But isn't it just as selfish for me to expect them to cater to me? Or even when my irritation was on someone else's behalf; how selfish is it for me to get angry about something that the aforementioned person brushed off? Isn't getting mad at others' self-focus putting the focus back on me?

It reminded me of John Weece's chapel message (because everything today has), and, on the whole, my need to let God lead my thoughts. Jesus wants me not to be bitter, even on the smallest scale. Who am I to judge? God doesn't, ever. Jesus suffered for every self-centered action I or anyone else has ever committed. It's so selfish of me to think I have to right to consider other people's actions acceptable or not.

Okay, so this is vague, over-analytical and possibly pointless. But I hope y'all can see through all that to what I'm trying to say. Don't let sin get'cha. Or something like that.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I stole your best potato chip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh roomie, i love you. hopefully i didn't do anything to annoy you. i love you and i liked this blog!

    ReplyDelete